Wednesday, June 29, 2011

That time of year again

My basil plants were exploding.

I had walnuts in the pantry.

I needed something carbo-licious.

It was time.

Basil pesto. I've already published this recipe...last time I used it on zucchini noodles for amazing results (link here).



**** OMG the recipe isn't there! Brain fart on my part! Here it is: 


1/2 c nut of choice (I like raw almonds or walnuts. Pine nuts are expensive and overrated. Pistachios would be lovely though)
1 c packed fresh basil leaves
1 c packed fresh spinach
1 oz parmesan (optional - you'll want more salt if you don't use it)
1-2 tbsp oil
1/4 c warm water
1 tsp minced garlic
salt to taste
pinch of pepper


In blender or food processor, blend basil, spinach,  oil, and 1/4 warm water. Yes, being warm helps. Stop when you get a really nice thick blend. Add in nuts and cheese and blend until smooth - sometimes a little water is neccesary. Salt to taste. Now you can freeze as is, or place 1-2 tbsp of the mix in the bottom of a big mixing bowl and use a pasta fork to transfer in freshly cooked pasta and a little pasta water. Toss with your pasta until coated. Also fabulous on non-cooking nights (when it's too hot to cook!) with shaved zucchini noodles and canned cannelini beans. Enjoy!

***

For a little extra protein, I sauteed some white beans in olive oil and garlic, and then I added a spoonful of pesto to warm them through. It made a great topper for spaghetti tossed in pesto.


The fiance enjoyed his with some pesto chicken. Can you tell we went a little wild with this condiment/sauce? It was sooooo goood.


If you're lacking a basil plant, I might have some leaves I could spare. Come over here and get them...

No comments:

Post a Comment