Friday, July 1, 2011

I am terrified of July

It's July. Where did June go?

I have so much to do this month. It's overwhelming right now. I can't even imagine that I'll be able to get it all done, but it's incredibly non-negotiable. This month I have to:

Work stuff -- 
Resubmit a paper. Again. Ugh. Pleaseohpleaseohpleasefindyourforeverhome


Decontaminate and arrange for pickup of a broken piece of equipment

Make Jill a special gene (it's like my graduation present to her)
Digitalize our chemical inventory (thanks Mollie! I got a little help and now it's done!)

Digitalize our specialty compounds library

Make copies of everything I'm taking with me and organize it into freezer boxes for easy shipping

Clean/decontaminate my desk, bench, and freezer space.

Teach people all the stuff I know that they don't.

All this time, I have a summer intern who is trying to get enough data for her paper and poster.

I'm also supposed to be pursuing my own research goals (i.e. what I'll be doing August 15), but I think that suggestion from my boss was kind of a cruel joke. I can't possibly do any more, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

New work stuff--

Order textbooks.

Make a syllabus

I want lesson plans for at least 4 classes (2 weeks of a 2x a week course), and ideally 8 (a month) and one test done before I get there. At this point, I think I'm dreaming about that goal.

New work clothes. Which are of course forbidden because I'll have to move them. So, this goal gets moved to August.


Home stuff--

Get new brakes on my car. And an oil change.


Get my old, trusty steel touring bike fixed/tuned/revamped to a commuter bike.

Stop electric service.

First, get our cable box fixed. Then arrange for service to be stopped.

Get cable/internet at my new house.

Get electric service and insurance at my new place. 

Clean. Clean. Clean.

Move my stuff.

Come back, clean more. Move the fiance's stuff.


Social Stuff--

Run. Workout. Still have time to clean, see my friends, and be sane.


I have a race on July 9. I will run that race. I WILL.

Have a going-away party? Attend other going-away parties!

Move 2 cats 3.5 hours, one of which is blind, without dying or having one of them die. Le sigh. Suggestions?


____________________________________________
Edited 06/30/11 to add: I prewrote most of this post, but I think just the act of writing it all down spurred my ability to get things done. Here's what I can cross off my list:

Resubmit a paper. Again. Ugh. Pleaseohpleaseohpleasefindyourforeverhome (Now, please stay there and need minimal changes!) 


I want lesson plans for at least 4 classes (2 weeks of a 2x a week course), and ideally 8 (a month) and one test done before I get there. At this point, I think I'm dreaming about that goal. (Not completely done, but I did get 1 class with slides and all done today!)




Get new brakes on my car. And an oil change. (Scheduled!)

Get my old, trusty steel touring bike fixed/tuned/revamped to a commuter bike. (Scheduled!)


Get cable/internet at my new house. (I even got a discounted installation fee BECAUSE I ASKED FOR IT. Power of persuasion, people!)

I feeeeeeeeeelllllll so much better!

Ok, what am I forgetting? I'm sure I'm terribly unprepared for this upcoming month!

3 comments:

  1. Hello friend! When you're moved in I want to come visit and help you get your place set up. And I am excellent at cultivating work wardrobes and can assist with that as well. You could even give me your sizes and some money and I would come back with a wardrobe like PRESTO! I'm very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! and help. I tried to follow the link back to the basil pesto recipe, but I can't find it in that post! Can you point me to it? thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call! I don't know if I just remembered it wrong or what, but the recipe is now in Wednesday's post.

    http://thehealthydoc.blogspot.com/2011/06/that-time-of-year-again.html

    Sorry!

    ReplyDelete