Monday, February 14, 2011

Special Holiday

Happy Valentine's Day! Whether you are celebrating your love for another, or your love for yourself...I hope your day is filled with...



chocolate cupcakes.

And of course, love. :)





 Yes, there is a recipe involved. It's at the end. And if you are in my lab, you get cupcakes. Just come find them. 
While my friend Ethan and I were playing yesterday, we set to work on a special project. It involved pudding, a carrot, some posterboard, spoons, and a sweet message. 





Sorry for the blur. The idea was that since babies like to eat everything, pudding wouldn't be bad to eat if he took it upon himself...and that worked out alright for both of us. Then, I was sneaky and changed his clothes. They are currently being laundered. Good babysitting? Yes...free to friends...I charge everyone else an arm and a leg...or some chickpea curry.

I also have to make today special for my super special room-mate...aka fiance. 
His request: Reminder whiteboard detailing the contents of the fridge.

Secrets! I try to make him happy....and I think this will deliver!

He also likes very public and very obnoxious displays of affection. So, I'm sorry friends, here goes nothing.

Oh fiance, you're cute. 
Your curly hair is a beaut. 
 But what I like best is when you wear a suit! 

I'm glad we are friends. 
We even start trends!
It won't be long before we're wearing Depends! 
(I'll still love you!)

This poem is lacking, but it's not cause I'm slacking.
I am just enjoying our life! 

We're poising to jump,
over the hump (called grad school)...
and trying to move up the rungs. 

I'm glad to report,
despite your retorts...
I'll scream at the top of my lungs:

I love you, bro
And you I'm glad to know...
and I hope we have years left to explore!

Love, Me. 

I'm a scientist. Poetry is not my strong point. But hopefully he's nice and embarrassed. 

Ok, you've survived the post. Here is a rich, chocolate cupcake recipe for your troubles....


Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
 1.5 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c baking cocoa
4 eggs (or 2 eggs + 2 egg whites)
1 c butter (or 1/3 c + 1 tbsp oil)
1 c sugar (or 1/2 c + 1/2 c sugar substitute)
1 tbsp instant espresso
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Frosting: 
1 package cream cheese
1/2 c margarine
~1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract

Mix dry ingredients and be sure to sift to remove lumps (cocoa powder is prone to lumping!). Seperately mix wet ingredients. Blend together and add chocolate chips. Portion into cupcake papers and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. 
Allow to cool. Cream together cream cheese and margarine. Add vanilla and almond extract. Add sugar slowly, stopping when the desired texture is obtained. Frost cupcakes liberally. 

Enjoy your valentine's day! And keep your eyes peeled...I am about 8 posts from an awesome giveaway celebrating something special for the blog. Any ideas what big blogeversary is coming up? 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment