Friday, February 11, 2011

It's the freakin' weekend!

Whooeeee, what a week! I think starting out with an interview just sapped me for the rest of the week. I slept over 10 hours every night and only put in a half day at work today. I just didn't have any more gas in the tank.

My boss was gone today, and while Friday is always a squirrely day among my people, today was extra silly. Look at what one labmate found when he came back from class:



I have no idea why we get so silly. I mean, we all work every weekend anyway! Maybe it's feeling that you control your schedule on the weekend? Any lab people want to weigh in on that thought?

Anyway, I didn't do so well about getting to the gym this week. I did run 2.5 miles and do 10 minutes on an elliptical at the hotel gym on Monday night, but it wasn't until Thursday that I attempted anything else. I just did 20 minutes of living room calisthenics, but my abs and my butt are so sore! I guess I need to start incorporating more weights and dynamic movement into my workouts. Here is the breakdown:

2 x 10 plie squat
2x 10 ski squat
2x 20 crunches
2x 20 leg drops (pilates move)
2x 20 raised leg reach
2x 10 staggered pushups
2x 5 pushup to side plank
2x 10 lunges (each side, 40 total)

Thursday I couldn't bring myself to go to the gym and do any cardio, so I had to make up for that today. Luckily, the roads have melted and the cold snap has lifted, so I could really get in a good run. I did 4.5 miles at just under a 9-minute mile, which is good considering I had to slow into every corner to avoid wiping out! I'm excited for spring running, but I know I need to put in the hard work now so that I can enjoy it later.

In other news, the 7 Day Salad Challenge is going really well. Is anyone else doing it?


I left you last time with a clue, it looked a little something like this:

RAWR!
That, my friends, is a monkfish. Ugly, but really delicious. We bought 2 filets, totalling about 1 lb. The fiance boiled them and then roasted them to get them crispy on the outside. Then, they went on a salad that was spinach, fennel tops, orange segments, and an orange-soy vinaigrette. We had some bread on the side.


Other meals have been good as well. Tuna salad on greens for lunch both days.



Dinner was mushroom risotto inspired by Angela at OhSheGlows!. Mine was made with beef broth, but otherwise the recipe was the same. It was delicious topped with some grated parm and with a side salad. I have been having weird cravings, so that salad was a standard mix (spinach, romaine, tomato, broccoli, onion, and pepper) topped with crushed tortilla chips and green salsa. That really hit the spot!



In other news, my sweet tooth has been out of control lately! I don't know what the problem is. My friend Maggie suggested that maybe I'm not eating enough, but I'm sure I'm getting too many calories (the jeans are a little snug) and I'm not hungry, I just crave sugar! On Thursday I ate so much candy that my mouth hurt! Today I had better control, so hopefully this is just a phase!

This weekend will have some delicious recipes, so I'll do an update on Sunday. AND I'm excited to bring you my take on the recent science policy movements in the deregulation of commercial alfalfa! Have a great weekend....if you're in the midwest, enjoy the nice weather. You know it won't last long!

1 comment: