1) Raw, unpasteurized cheeses are the single most common cause of Listeriosis and non-alveolar (non-lung) Tuberculosis in the USA.
2) Eating organic produce isn't just better because of low pesticide and herbicide residues: Organics TASTE stronger because the natural flavor components are often plant defense molecules.
3) All food contains a breakdown of amino acids, sugars, fats, vitamins, and other chemicals. Do you need to eat tofu and spirulina if you don't like it? Absolutely not! These foods fulfill a role in your diet (i.e. protein, B vitamins, iron). Find another one that you like better.
4) The US has the lowest food budget per person than any developed nation. The highest is Cyprus, where residents spend 30% of their take-home income on food.
5) In that same vein, the US spends 9.8% of per capita income on food, while Italy spends 18.8%. Conversely, US and its residents spend $7290 per capita on healthcare, while Italians spend $2714 (including their goverment aid contribution). I wonder if this is related?
6) If you don't know the USDA cost/benefit methods used to determine whether swine/poultry/beef industries treat sick animals or not, you should. I'm not saying that you should change your eating habits. I'm saying you should know and understand the policies.
7) It is possible to obtain all of our food from natural plant-based sources and get the neccesary nutrients. Lentils, leafy greens, and whole grains are amazing things.
8) Do you have any idea how many calories you eat per day? According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, the average American consumed 2753 calories per day in 2003...and I can't find any more updated stats than that. Take a look at what you consume, and then what you burn. I bet you'll be surprised!
9) Do you feel tired all the time? Maybe check your diet. Vitamin D is getting a lot of attention now, but deficiencies in magnesium, iron, calcium, and vitamin B lead to fatigue as well. Diet is truly intertwined with performance!
10) As you age, you lose taste buds. That's why elderly people taste things differently than young people. So, enjoy your food while you can!
Have a great July 4th Weekend! I have a few RACE ANNOUNCEMENTS and will have some weekend warrioring to tell you about after the break!