Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What a day!


I’ve done two 10+ hour days of work in a row this week and today was especially brutal. I like working, but in the sciences you sometimes spend a ton of time working on things that don’t seem to come to fruition. This week is full of these, but I just have to tell myself that I am still learning things and making progress as long as I keep working, so I put the hours in. So…the eats that have kept me going:
 
This week, we made a couple cold noodle dishes because it’s been too hot for cooking a lot. The first was roasted veggies with pasta and garlic oil. I used my awesome purple asparagus, green asparagus, 2 small zucchini, cloves from 2 bunches of roasted garlic, three roma tomatoes, a whole red onion, mushrooms, and garlic oil made from roasting the veggies. I added in 2-3 oz of RF feta and some kalamata olives once everything was mixed and cooled. 


The other dish was homemade lo mein. This also has a ton of veggies snuck in: 2 cups of broccoli slaw, 4 julienned carrots, 2 julienned zucchini, an onion, a can of baby corn, a can of waterchestnuts, and a crown of broccoli. We added some tempeh, stir fried it all in soy, sweet chili, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and hoisin sauce. I dump this on top of a bed of spinach and top the whole thing with chopped scallions and julienned jicama for crunch. The red: some spicy sriracha! 

I’ve really recycled these in a variety of dishes, so I’ll just show you some pics of how they fit into my meals and fast forward to today, when things got more interesting. 

In a lunch with cantelope, yogurt, and what I'm calling a 'birdseed bar' - Basically Tina's PB Blondies with seedy mixins and extra pumpkin.








As a side to a delicious turkey burger with lo-fat swiss and extra veggie power from roasted veggies, asparagus, and a mix of sweet and white potato oven fries. This was seriously the best meal of the week. All that protein and fiber kept me super full.













With some grilled chicken and a big salad.

And sometimes you need something sweet! This is KEMPS fat-free blueberries and sweet cream fro-yo. I was spoiled on a recent trip to Cali, where they have these self-serve fro-yo places and variety of toppers. This is really good, but it doesn't compare! 



This morning I had bfast in 2 parts: 
 Yes, it was a 2-thermos day. I never did get to the green tea.

 
Wheat toast, almond butter, and jam before I headed to work super early. 







Fruit, 4 oz yogurt, and 1/3 c Kashi Go-Lean Crunch! A couple hours later (as part of my lunch post).
 
I thought this would hold me over so that I could get more done before I ate lunch, but I was starving by 1pm. I ate salad and grilled chicken with 1 oz of feta. I usually package these with a baggie of balsamic vinegar to mix in right before I eat, but this spilled all over and soaked through my apricot. Balsamic soaked apricot sounds good in theory, but was gross in practice. I threw it out and ate the banana.

 This lunch kept me pretty full and I’m now lazing at home until bed time.I actually ate the last serving of the tempeh lo-mein and goldfish crackers for dinner, so I don't have anything fun to show you.
 Tomorrow I'm going to do a post on the benefits of terpenes and carotenoids, which are my bread-and-buttah (seriously, it's how I make my money!) 
Eating Requires Activity (ERA): Sun: 30 min of yoga, Mon: 1 hr bike ride (13-14 miles?), Tue: 4 mile run and 15 min assorted weights. Today: OFF! 
What do you do when you feel tired and run-down? 

No comments:

Post a Comment