Friday, May 21, 2010

Ramping back up...

After sidelining all experiments in the lab from mid-March to May 7 for defenses, grant writing, teaching, conferences, and graduation I'm sllooooooooowwwwwwwly ramping back up in the lab. This process is soooo painful, because I'm used to being super-uber busy from 7:30am-9pm and I'm missing my crazy frenetic energy. But, I'm sure I'll be back at it soon and then I'll be busier and happier...it's only a matter of time.

So, I promised some eats. This is what I've been up to eating in the last few days...


Breakfasts...


















Smoothies! Green: banana, pineapple (1 c cubed), peaches (1 c sliced), 1 c almond milk, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 2-3 c spinach.
In the blender: 1/2 c almond milk, 1 banana, 1 c blackberries, 1 c strawberries, spinach, 1/2 scoop protein powder.

In case you doubt I ever eat real food, it was cold and gross today and I ate some delicious apple oatmeal!











Add 1 apple (or 1.5 small apples, cubed) to microwave safe bowl. Top with spices, vanilla, and sweetener (I use 1 tbsp splenda). Microwave 1 min. Add 1/3 c uncooked oatmeal and water, cook 2 min in microwave. Stir in 1 tbsp peanut butter....serve with coffee!
 Yummmmm!

My lunches were pretty tame. They all fell into the same boat as Tuesday's post except for this beauty: strawberries, random assorted veggies, a mini babybel cheese, and 1 small sweet potato and 1 small white potato smashed and covered in homemade vegetarian bbq baked beans. It was amazing and held me for 6 hours.

I did hit the candy drawer pretty hard on Wednesday...and my labmate gave me a special kind of rice crispie treat made with fruity pebbles...the sugar really helped my energy.

Dinners have been hectic. I ate the same pork tacos as Tuesday with a side of steamed broccoli and snap peas...

Then I snarfed some supermarket take-out that didn't quite get pictured as I was running from work to the grocery store to the coffee shop (i.e. my second place of work...science is very portable when you have a laptop). Though unpictured, I ate a california roll and 1.5 cups of chicken tortilla soup.

To secure my free wireless and seat at the coffee shop, I bought an unsweetened iced tea and a cookie. I ate half the cookie and brought the other half to the fiance afterward.

When I got home, I roasted veggies for a future meal. Eggplant, squash, onions with a bit of olive oil, spices, and garlic.


Amazing, right? I will probably eat them tomorrow...

Finally, I was not feeling quite so fabulous yesterday and my nice fiance took me to dinner to cheer me up. We went to this irish restaurant in town, and it's pretty good...but my crackberry doesn't like the low lighting, so forgive me: on the way out the door, I had an unpictured slice of my low-fat, low sugar, high fiber pumpkin bread to tide me over. I don't have a picture of the slice, but I think a picture of the 13x9 pan afterwards can explain everything...












This was followed by 1.5 slices of a smoked salmon appetizer pizza...pictured is 1 slice. It had smoked salmon, capers, avocado, and provolone on some kind of amazing sauce...roasted red pepper?. Dinner was an amazing veggie wrap. They saute cabbage, broccoli slaw, carrots, and onions and stuff it into a tortilla with cheese and this roasted red pepper dressing. I normally wouldn't get fries, but this place has the most amazing fries. All told, I ate 1/2 the wrap and picked the veggies out of the other half...tortillas aren't really my thing. I ate 2/3 of the fries and donated the rest across the way. I had to save room for some dessert...

Besides, what's a 'treat night' without ice cream? 
 'Like it' sized sinless cake batter (have you guys tried their 'sinless' ice creams? They are amazing!) and strawberries mixed in. It was delicious! 

Well, that about catches us up. We had a special lab lunch today at El Azteca, so I'll save that for my weekend wrap-up post. In the meantime, I'll talk about some of the vegetables that are known to have anti-cancer abilities...like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and leafy greens. Interestingly, those are often the ones people don't like, but I love them! 

What is your favorite vegetable? Your least favorite?

(ERA): 2 mile run, 20 minutes yoga. 3.5 mile run, 30 minutes yoga. 

2 comments:

  1. Are you steaming veggies in Gladware? :(

    That oatmeal looks so good. My favorite veggies are Brussels sprouts, yams, onions, cabbage and cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, they were leftovers from a previous meal. I know about the dangers of microwaving food in the plastic containers, but it's really hard for me to transition to being a grown-up and heating it up on a plate or in a ceramic bowl. Until recently, I've found the cost of pyrex tupperware replacements too much for how much we use the plastic variety. When both the fiance and I bring our lunches to work - and I was bringing dinner to work 4 days a week until May - it adds up. I'll work on it.

    ReplyDelete