Sunday, November 28, 2010

Getting in the vegetables: Pizzalad!

 I hope you had a happy Turkey Day (for those who celebrate!) and I'm excited to be back. I went on a voyage around the state of New York visiting the fiance's extended family. I decided to not take pictures during that time because it was about spending time with family, not blogging. Now, I'm back! And I have some fun stuff planned for you.

The winner of the cookie and jam giveaway was Chelle and her package is in the mail! There are some more fun giveaways planned through the next month, so stay tuned!

___________________________________________________________________________



I don't know about you, but when the weather starts to cool outside, salads stop sounding good. I mean, I still like vegetables, but coming in from work on a dark, rainy (or snowy) night does not make me crave a cool, crisp salad.

In fact, lately all I have wanted to eat has been PIZZA.

No, not that kind of pizza. That kind of pizza has a time and a place.

It does not substitute for a salad. It does not make my stomach feel good. It doesn't fill me up.

What I need is a pizza-salad. A PIZZALAD.

How might you make a pizzalad? I thought you'd never ask!
First, you make a crust. Now, I am LAZY and don't care to plan ahead to make a leavened pizza crust. Plus, I like a thin crust. So, you can make my crust recipe, or you can use a tortilla, or you can use a nice piece of crusty bread. Or you can get a yeasty-crust recipe from somewhere else. I won't judge.

Easy-peasy Pizza Dough
3/4 c wheat flour
3/4 c white flour
1.5 tbsp baking powder
1 liberal pinch salt
1/2 c warm water

Preheat Oven to 400 F

Mix together the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Slowly add water until you have a sticky mass of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in a warm place for 10-20 minutes. Liberally flour a cutting board and move your dough to the board. With a floured rolling pin, flatten the dough. Pick up the dough and pull at the edges, flip over, and roll again. When pizza is thin and stretch to the desired size (for me 0.25 inches thick) flip onto ungreased pizza pan or cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip crust. Now you're ready to top it!

First, I like to put down a thin layer of sauce. I like 0.5 cups of good spaghetti sauce. A great trick for something special is to mix 1/2 curry sauce from a jar with 1/2 spaghetti sauce to get a nice curry flavor throughout your pizza.

Add your cooked toppings - like sauteed peppers, onions, and asparagus.





Top your pizza with whatever you like: tomato, spinach, artichoke, etc. Add your cheese, and drizzle with olive oil. 

Look at the awesome pizza! It is a complete and balanced meal. 


Other delicious toppings:

BBQ Chicken: Pull a rotisserie or oven-baked chicken with some bbq sauce. Top the pizza with the mixture. Add onions, peppers, tomato, and pickles (it's awesome!) and top with cheese. 

Taco Pizza: Using leftover taco meat, top the crust with salsa and taco meat. Add cheese. Bake. Then top with lettuce, tomato, onions, etc. 

Thai Pizza: Mix 1/2 spaghetti sauce + 1/2 curry sauce. Top pizza crust with sauce and add tofu or raw shrimp. Add cheese and zucchini, carrot, snap peas, onions. Bake until shrimp are cooked through. It's surprisingly delicious! 

What is your favorite type of pizza? 

1 comment:

  1. Pizzalads are fiance approved. Honestly, it's how she got vegetables into me when I was reluctant to relinquish my bachelor eating habits. If getting your significant other to try something new is difficult, I highly recommend putting it on a piece of bread with tomato sauce and covering it with a generous portion of cheese.

    ReplyDelete